Friday 15 March 2013

Friday, March 15, 2013 -

The Texas Brat & The Runaway

by Cara Lynn
Published: Mar 15, 2013
Words: 24,911
Category: general
Orientation: M/F
Click HERE for further details and purchase options.
OPENING EXTRACT
It was a beautiful, hot summer Texas day, and I was riding Midnight as fast as I could, jumping fences. I loved the wind in my hair.

This ranch had been my home for almost twenty years. I came to live with Uncle Adam when I was a year old, right after my parents were killed in an accident. He had raised me, and loved me, and he spoiled me rotten. I can't remember him ever saying 'no' to me.

Uncle Adam had gone to Dallas for business, and would be gone for several weeks, so I had the ranch to myself. His foreman, Tom, would be running the ranch, and I could do whatever I wanted. Right now, I wanted to ride fast, and then go to the lake for a summer afternoon swim.

As I jumped over the last fence, I saw a rider coming fast. It was William Holt. He owned the adjacent ranch, which was the only ranch around that was bigger than Uncle Adam's.

"Are you trying to kill yourself, young lady?" he snapped at me.

"Get out of my way," I snapped back.

"You're going to go back to the ranch immediately," he calmly said.

"I most certainly am not!" I said as I turned Midnight around.

"I said go back to the ranch now," he said sternly.

"You aren't my father or husband, and have no say in what I do," I yelled at him.

"That's where you're wrong, little girl. Adam signed your guardianship over to me while he's gone, and I say get back to the ranch," he snapped.

"Fuck off, you bastard!" I screamed as I kicked Midnight hard.

I was riding hard and fast, and I was sure William wouldn't be able to catch up with me. I was so furious I didn't know what to do. How could Uncle Adam do this to me? He knew I couldn't stand William. He was ten years older than me and a stuffy arrogant man. He was deliciously handsome with black hair and dark eyes and stood at 6 feet 4 with broad shoulders.

He was really tall and, next to me, he was like a giant. If I stood on my tiptoes, I might reach 5 feet, and I still didn't weigh 100 pounds. I was tiny, but I could take care of myself.

I kicked Midnight again, and flew across the pasture and jumped the last fence on my way to the lake. I looked back and couldn't see William, which made me smile. I showed him.

Finally, I saw the lake ahead, and I really wanted a nice swim in the cool water. I got off Midnight, and walked him to the lake so he could drink, then I led him back to a grassy area, and dropped his reins. I trained him never to leave me, so it was okay for me to swim, and he would still be here under the tree.