Tuesday 25 March 2014

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 -

A Dreamer in Godsland

by John Benson
Published: Feb 02, 2014
Words: 23,640
Category: fantasy
Orientation: M/F
Click HERE for further details and purchase options.
OPENING EXTRACT
A Dreamer in Godsland

"Not a punishment, exactly," her teacher said. "More along the lines of a training exercise. Though it will afford you ample time to meditate on your imperfections."

Lurileth sighed and brushed a stubborn strand of hair out of her face. "Inattentiveness," she said. "Arrogance. Haste."

"Indeed," her teacher said. "I've said it so many times. Power comes too easily to us. Wisdom does not. So we must overcompensate by erring on the side of caution."

Caution did not come naturally to Lurileth. Her youthful instincts shouted that Doing Something was always better than letting Fate take its course. "I know," she said. Trouble is, the old teacher had probably said it too many times, and the lesson's edge had been dulled by repetition.

"And just what do you think this exercise will be teaching, child?"

A month of slavery? Too easy. "Humility," said Lurileth.

"Of course," her teacher said. She could hear the dripping sarcasm. Damn. She had answered quickly and chosen the obvious. Wasn't he always telling her to look beyond the obvious?

"You're suggesting that I'm missing something," she said. "I confess I don't know what."

"Empathy," he said.

She stood aghast. "You want me to feel for them? Compromise my objectivity?"

"Of course," he said. "We're nearly the same species, after all. You have every need to feel for them. But yet you must..."

"Yes, I know," she said. "Err on the side of caution. Can we go over the rules of the exercise just one more time?"

"Of course. For thirty days you will pose as a slave and suffer whatever they choose to do, and not use your power to mitigate your lot."

"But I can use it to continue the deception? Heal threatening injury? Things like that?"

"Listen to what I have said," her teacher admonished. "And to what I have not said."

Ah, yes. He didn't even say she was forbidden to meddle in their affairs. She carefully avoided asking for further clarification, which could only narrow her scope. "Just pay attention," she said. "Don't assume I know everything. Don't be hasty. And err on the side of caution."

"Exactly," her teacher said. It seemed that he almost smiled.

---oOo---

The man looked her up and down. She returned his stare, which was far from wise. "We'll call you Leah," he said. "Because you remind me of the first rich bitch I ever tamed. You have that same bearing. As if you're as good as everybody else. You'll learn."

"Yes sir," said Lurileth. They led her to a room already full of girls. Girls as young as she looked. As young as she felt. Some girls were crying. Some were rocking back and forth, encased in some self-made Hell. One was praying. That one drew her, nearly against her will.

"Hello. They call me Leah. What's your name? What are you doing?"

"Bet," the girl said. "I'm praying to the Goddess of Slaves, trying to lighten my load."