Tuesday 10 February 2015

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - ,

The Cowboy and His Gold Mine

by Cara Lynn
Published: Dec 22, 2014
Words: 14,984
Category: western, romance
Orientation: M/F
Click HERE for further details and purchase options.
OPENING EXTRACT
Present Day

Smack!

"Oww!"

Smack! Smack!

"Oww!"

Smack!

"Oww! Okay! Okay, I promise I won't go near the mine again!"

"Well, a few more with this paddle should get my point across."

SMACK! SMACK! SMACK!

"Oww!!"

He loosened his grip on her and she quickly jumped off his lap and frantically rubbed her very sore bottom. There were tears running down her cheeks.

He felt bad when he saw the tears as he stood up from his seat on the side of their bed. He stepped towards her and took her in his arms, and whispered, "I'm sorry I had to do that, but you have to learn to listen to me. I'm only trying to keep you safe. I would die if something happened to you."

"I know," she sniffled. "It's just that after I read your great grandmother's diary, I just know that there is gold in that mine. She was certain of it."

"Enough, Rebecca!"

She knew him well enough to know that when he called her Rebecca, it was time to retreat. She would investigate her theories later when her best friend Mattie came over.

"Okay Honey, I'm sorry. I know you only want to keep me safe. I'd better go and check with Nora and see if I can help her with dinner. Jake and Mattie will be here in a few hours and thanks to you I won't be able to sit comfortably!" She pouted as she stomped her foot.

"Do you need a lesson in manners, young lady?"

"No, no, I'm sorry. It's just that my bottom hurts!"

He chuckled and gave her a kiss on her forehead. "Then behave!"

---oOo---

God, Joseph loved his feisty wife. She was a handful at barely 5 feet tall, with curly brown hair and green eyes that flashed when she was mad. She had such an imagination. He had heard all the stories about gold in that abandoned mine as he was growing up, but no one had ever found any, and after the cave-in several years ago he had it closed and condemned. She had no business anywhere near that mine. There were plenty of places for her to ride on the ranch. It was the largest spread in the County.

He was very proud of all the work he had done to make it one of the most successful cattle ranches in the state. He had several thousand head of cattle and a dozen men working for him. He had turned the ranch into something his grandfather would have loved.


Several Years Ago

Joseph was a big man, way over 6 feet tall. He was very fit and had a kind heart. But when he said something there was no arguing with him. He and Rebecca had been married for several years and they were very happy. They were well suited, as his grandfather would have said.