Sunday 21 April 2013

Sunday, April 21, 2013 -

Helen's Domestic Discipline

by Geraldine Hillis
Published: Apr 20, 2013
Words: 32,180
Category: romance
Orientation: M/F
Click HERE for further details and purchase options.
OPENING EXTRACT
June's Surprise

The party was in full swing. The music blared; the drink flowed. June Robbins was having a ball! She'd drunk enough wine to make her tipsy, and was dancing energetically with a young man she'd met about twenty minutes previously. Her dress, which had started the evening quite respectably, had somehow slipped, giving her partner more than just her pretty face to look at. When the dance ended, he hugged her and gave her behind a friendly squeeze, sliding the dress up a little more than was strictly necessary.

She giggled, almost lost her balance, and was caught from behind by two strong hands. Her husband Martin turned her to face him. "Don't you think it's time to go, June?"

She blinked. "Oh, don't be a bore, Martin. Just fetch me another drink, will you?"

Martin shook his head. "No. You've had more than enough," he said firmly.

A sulky look crossed her face. "Well," she said defiantly, "if you won't do it, I'll find someone who will." And she stalked off, somewhat unsteadily.

Two hours later, Martin half-carried his by now extremely drunken wife to a waiting taxi. Only the promise of a very large tip persuaded the driver to let her in the car at all.

Once home, he undressed her and put her to bed, then lay awake worrying about what the hell he was going to do with her.

---oOo---

"June, wake up." Martin was shaking her shoulder. "June, we're meeting Paul and Maggie at the tennis club in an hour. Mixed doubles. Remember?"

June opened her eyes - very slowly. "Oh God! My head - close the curtains, Martin." She rolled over and buried her head in the pillows. "I can't go - I'm sick." Her voice was muffled.

"You're not sick, you're hungover," said Martin. "Now, are you getting up?"

She half turned and sat up gingerly, holding her head. "I really can't. Make up some excuse for me."

"I spend half my life making up excuses for you and your behaviour," said Martin angrily. "Suit yourself. I'm going out!"

---oOo---

Paul and Maggie greeted Martin warmly when he arrived at the club. They were an attractive couple in their early thirties, a little older than he and June.

"I'm sorry, I'm afraid -" began Martin. "No, I won't lie for her." He took a deep breath. "June's so hellishly hungover, she couldn't even see a ball, let alone hit it."

"Yes, well," said Paul tactfully. "She did seem to be having a good time last night."

Martin gave a short, humourless laugh. "Oh yes, a great time! Drinking herself unconscious, flirting with anything in trousers, letting every Tom, Dick and Harry grope her!" He looked despairingly at the older couple. "Look, I like a drink and a bit of fun as well as the next person, but ..."

"But this happens all the time, is that it, Martin?" asked Maggie gently.

He nodded. "I'm at my wits' end. I just don't know what to do."