Saturday 6 June 2015

Saturday, June 06, 2015 - ,

Bratty Annie and the Ranch Foreman

by Abigail Armani
Published: Apr 18, 2015
Words: 18,272
Category: western, romance
Orientation: M/F
Click HERE for further details and purchase options.
OPENING EXTRACT
Matthew clapped Tyler Fox on the back then shook hands with his new foreman to seal the deal. "It's great to have you on board, son. You've proved your worth here at Whispering Winds, and you're the best man for the job."

"Thanks, Mr Bellamy-"

"No need to stand on ceremony. You can call me Matthew, and my good wife's name is Brenda."

"Sure." Tyler smiled at the older man. "Thanks for the promotion, Matthew. I'm real glad I can be of help to you."

"How about a shot of bourbon to celebrate?" Matthew strode over to the decanter on the desk in his study. "Strictly speaking, it's a little early in the day and my lady wife wouldn't approve - but as she ain't here..." He grinned and poured two generous measures of the dark amber liquid into two glasses. "Gone into Dubois to buy more clothes for our trip." He rolled his eyes. "That woman has two closets crammed full of clothes and still she wants more."

"That's women for ya I guess," said Tyler wryly. He accepted the proffered glass and raised it.

"To your new job, son." Matthew clinked his glass against Tyler's.

"Yeah. My new job." Tyler took a sip and smiled appreciatively. "This is good stuff."

"Sure is. Jefferson's Presidential elect 30 year-old bourbon. It comes out on special occasions." Matthew took another sip, savouring the taste.

"You mentioned a trip - you folks goin' on vacation?"

"We are, and that's what I want to talk to you about, Tyler ... take a seat. You already know what's expected of you in regards to running the ranch. Hell - you've been doin' most of the day-to-day stuff during the past six months, and I've complete confidence in leaving the place in your capable hands while Brenda and I take our first vacation in thirty years."

"Thirty years? You're way overdue."

"Yup. We're off to Kenya, Botswana and Namibia on a photographic safari, and we'll be gone for eight weeks. It'll be the trip of a lifetime. Think you can cope in our absence?" He grinned widely. "I'm darned sure you can or I wouldn't have handed over a small fortune to the travel company."

Tyler put down his drink. It was well known that both Matthew and Brenda Bellamy were mad keen on photography, and over the past few years had organised a series of workshops at the ranch - workshops which proved very popular given the scenic Fremont County, Wyoming location of Whispering Winds with its abundance of wildlife. "I'm honoured you have such confidence in me. And yeah, I'm equally confident that myself and the boys can keep the place running smoothly while you're away. Your trip sounds fantastic."

"It'll be amazing. Can't think why we didn't do it sooner ... well, I guess I can ... my daughter. Annie."